Fire extinguishers help prevent blaze taking hold at local firm

March 9, 2009

England

Fire extinguishers supplied and serviced by the Chubb Fire* office in Luton prevented a minor fire from becoming a major blaze at a plastics manufacturer in St Albans on Wednesday March 4.

A faulty heater sparked a blaze in the reception area of Stephen Webster Plastics in Brick Knoll Park, Ashley Road at 7-00am on March 4th. Despite smoke and fire damage to both floors the situation could have been far worse, according to Patrick Ottens, business manager at Stephen Webster Plastics. “I came in early and saw the heater and part of the wall was on fire. I used the Kidde fire blanket to cover the heater and then took an extinguisher to the rest of the flames.”

Amira Plastics Group takes health and safety seriously, and employs Chubb Fire to ensure its extinguishers are regularly serviced and maintained. “They were in good working order when we needed them most,” he says, “and prevented what was a very small fire from becoming a serious incident. It could have been much worse with all the plastic stored here.”

A survey by the Fire Industry Association in 2007 into 400 fire incidents showed that nearly 80% were successfully put out by a portable fire extinguisher.

Stephen Webster Plastics is a major UK supplier for thermoforming sheet materials with comprehensive stocks held at their dedicated premises in St Albans from it supplies nationwide.

It offers both sheet and a cut to size service using the latest optimising technology and one of the biggest guillotines in use by any UK plastics distributor

*Chubb Fire supplies and services Kidde fire extinguishers throughout the UK.

Back